A World-Class Breast Surgeon in Oregon
Learn why Dr. Jewell is the best choice for your breast surgery.Learn More
- Dr. Mark Jewell celebrates the 10th anniversary of the American Brazilian Aesthetic Meeting in Florianopolis, Brazil.
- Betadine and Breast Implants Special Topic Scientific Article (Aesthetic Surgery Journal)
- Facelift Surgery: What Happens Next?
- Planning a Breast Augmentation? Consider Going Gummy
Mommy Make Over get your body back after babies!Updated January 15, 2015
I am Dr. Jewell’s clinical nurse and am asked this question daily. Plus with my almost 20 years of nursing experience working in OB/GYN and as a Lactation Consultant, I have worked with moms both during and after pregnancy and lactation. Frequent conversations I had with mothers ready to wean their baby’s included the phrase: “I’m ready to get my body back” or “I’m ready for my body to belong to me again.”
Considering plastic surgery to help return your body to your pre-pregnancy state is very common. Diet and exercise can only do so much, and for some women that’s fine, but others may want to do more.
Mommy Make Over’s usually consist of body contouring such as liposuction, tummy tuck, breast augmentation and/or breast lift. Not every person needs all of these, some may only need one or two, everyone’s needs are different.
Moms come to see us and frequently say “I just can’t lose that last 5 pounds” or “I weigh the same as I did pre-pregnancy but things have shifted.” Body contouring may be the correct procedure for you. Body contouring uses procedures like liposuction and abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). A tummy tuck removes skin that has been stretched out during pregnancy.
I hear from patients, “No matter how much I diet or workout it just doesn’t go away.” To me a tummy tuck isn’t about how much weight is removed with the procedure, although that is great too, but instead it’s about getting your clothes to fit better and more comfortably because the excess skin is removed.
Augmentation and Mastopexy (breast lift) are very common procedures in the U.S. For many moms that breast fed, while providing the best for your baby, the after affects can leave you wanting the look of “breast full with milk” or even just wanting your pre-pregnancy breast back. I find one of 3 things when seeing patients regarding their breast.
1. Augmentation: Women who have breast augmentation prior to pregnancy should have no problems with breastfeeding, as long as the implants are not too large and the periareloar incision is avoided. You might see a slight change after multiple pregnancies which can be fixed with implant exchange of some skin tightening. Some women elect to have implants done between children to get their volume back. Many moms realize that the stretching of the skin and loss of volume can only be filled with an implant. Augmentation is utilized for gals with good skin integrity to either fill or shape the breasts post-partum.
2. Breast Lift (Mastopexy) good amount of your own breast tissue, just needs to be put back where it started.
3. Mastopexy/Augmentation sometimes you will need both filling and lifting to achieve the optimal outcome.
If you are interested in any of these “Mommy Make Over” procedures, please schedule a free consultation with Dr. Mark Jewell, in Eugene, Oregon. Dr. Jewell is a board certified plastic surgeon who is an expert in providing world class outcomes with an emphasis on quality care and safety in plastic surgery.
Toni Myers, RN