A World-Class Breast Surgeon in Oregon
Learn why Dr. Jewell is the best choice for your breast surgery.Learn More
The Do’s & Don’ts of Breast Augmentation ConsultationUpdated March 27, 2018
Consultation for a cosmetic procedure can be daunting, especially if it’s your first time. To ease some of your nerves, Dr. Jewell encourages his breast augmentation patients at his Eugene, OR, practice to come prepared. The following tips can be a helpful guide to getting ready for your breast augmentation consultation.
- DO review a lot of before-and-after photos. Your surgeon’s photo gallery should give you peace of mind about your procedure. It can also be a great place to find photos to bring to your consultation. Having some pictures on hand is a great way of helping your surgeon understand your expectations. However, it is important to find photos of a patients who have similar body proportions to you. Depending on your body type, certain implant sizes may not be a good fit.
- DON’T focus too much on what cup size you want. Breast implants are not based on cup size—they are measured in cubic centimeters (CC). The reason for this is that cup sizes are not standardized; bras from different retailers often have slightly different sizing. The CC measurement is a more accurate way of determining implant size. During your consultation, Dr. Jewell will listen to your desired outcomes, questions, and concerns and recommend what implants will help you reach your cosmetic goals.
- DO pay attention to patient testimonials. Patient testimonials can not only help you choose a surgeon, but they can also give you an idea of what to expect during your initial consultation and your entire surgical journey.
- DON’T feel bad if you are nervous or decide that it’s not the right time for you. Sometimes after consultation, patients decide that it’s not the right time for them to undergo a procedure—and that’s okay! Dr. Jewell makes sure to provide you with the necessary information during consultation, so you’ll have a plan ready when the time is right.
- DO write down any questions you have. Keeping a list of questions that come up during research will help the consultation go as smooth as possible. Your surgeon can be a great resource, so don’t be afraid to ask questions or express any concerns. Dr. Jewell encourages good communication and believes it is essential to achieving the best possible results.
- DON’T believe everything Dr. Google says. The internet can provide a lot of helpful information. On the other hand, there is a lot of misleading information out there as well. As a good rule of thumb, you should try to stick to credible sources, like the websites of board-certified plastic surgeons or the American Society for Plastic Surgery The best source is going to a board-certified plastic surgeon for an examination. An experienced surgeon will be able to give you information that relates to your unique situation.
If you are ready to discuss your breast augmentation options, request a consultation online or give us a call at (541) 683-3234.