Are you struggling with skin concerns like wrinkles, fine lines, acne scars, or uneven skin tone? These are issues that many people face, and they can have a negative impact on your confidence and self-esteem. However, safe and effective treatments are available to help you achieve smoother, healthier, and more youthful-looking skin.
In this post, I’ll discuss laser skin treatments to help you decide if they’re right for you.
What Is Laser Skin Resurfacing?
Before deciding on a laser skin resurfacing treatment, it’s important to understand your potential options. Laser resurfacing is a cosmetic procedure that improves the appearance of the skin and promotes the growth of new, healthier skin cells. It’s typically performed on the face but can also be used on other parts of the body, such as the neck, chest, and arms.
Two main types of laser skin resurfacing are ablative and nonablative.
- Ablative laser skin resurfacing is the more aggressive type of treatment. It uses a high-energy laser to vaporize the outer layer of skin, removing damaged cells and stimulating collagen production. This type of treatment requires a more extended recovery period and is best suited for individuals with more severe skin concerns, such as deep wrinkles and acne scars.
- Nonablative laser skin rejuvenation is a gentler treatment that doesn’t remove the outer layer of skin. Instead, it uses a lower-energy laser to heat the skin and stimulate collagen production. Nonablative laser skin treatment is suited to a variety of skin concerns and requires little to no downtime.
Ablative vs. Nonablative
While ablative laser skin resurfacing effectively addresses severe skin concerns, it’s associated with more risks and potential side effects, such as infection, scarring, and changes in skin pigmentation. Nonablative laser skin treatments are less aggressive, carry fewer risks, and are generally considered safer.
Benefits of Nonablative Fractional Treatments
We believe the nonablative fractional laser and light-based treatments used at Jewell District Medical Spa offer excellent patient outcomes with lower risks and quicker recovery. These treatments can fit easily into your lifestyle because little downtime is required, and our patients are consistently pleased with the results.
What Can I Do to Prepare for a Laser Skin Treatment?
It’s best to go into a laser skin treatment with skin that is as healthy as possible, so your provider may ask you to take the following precautions:
- Limit your UV exposure for at least a few weeks before treatment by staying out of the sun when possible and wearing broad-spectrum sunscreen daily.
- Stop taking or applying medication that makes your skin photosensitive for at least 3 days before treatment (with your physician’s approval). Photosensitizing medications include isotretinoin, NSAIDs, thiazide diuretics (like hydrochlorothiazide), and some antibiotics such as minocycline.
- Stop nicotine and alcohol consumption at least 3 days before treatment. Both substances affect how your blood vessels dilate, leading to a greater risk of aftereffects.
- Don’t apply lotions, creams, or makeup to your treatment area on the day of your treatment.
What Can I Expect From Fractional Laser and Light-Based Treatments?
Fractional laser and light-based treatments address a range of skin issues, including wrinkles, fine lines, sun damage, acne scars, and hyperpigmentation.
Fractional Laser Treatments
Fractional laser treatments create microscopic skin wounds, stimulating collagen and elastin production, leading to smoother, firmer, and more youthful-looking skin.
Mild redness and swelling may occur after the treatment but typically subside within a few days.
Light-based treatments use broad-spectrum light to target specific skin issues, such as brown spots, redness, and broken capillaries. The light penetrates the skin and is absorbed by melanin or hemoglobin, causing them to break down.
Mild redness and swelling may occur after the treatment, but these aftereffects typically subside within a few hours to a day or two.
Both fractional laser and light-based treatments can provide significant benefits, including:
- Smoother skin texture that’s more evenly toned
- Diminished brown spots, redness, and broken capillaries
- Decreased wrinkles and fine lines
- Reduced appearance of acne scars
Specific results will depend on your skin type, the severity of your skin concerns, and other factors. A qualified aesthetician can help you determine the best treatment for your needs and explain the results you can expect.
Depending on your skin, you may need several treatment sessions for optimal results. As your body’s own natural collagen production increases following treatment, it may take several weeks or even a few months to see the full outcome.
A healthy skincare routine and consistent sun protection are essential to maintain the benefits of your treatment.
What Is the Clear + Brilliant® Complete Laser Treatment?
Clear + Brilliant Complete is a fractional laser treatment that combines 2 wavelengths to deliver both superficial and deeper-level skin benefits in one treatment. It’s gentle, effective, and can revitalize your complexion by addressing a range of skin concerns.
Clear + Brilliant Complete stimulates the body’s natural healing process and promotes the growth of fresh, new skin cells. It distinguishes itself from other lasers as a highly customizable treatment that requires minimal downtime. It can be used on a variety of skin types and adjusted to target specific skin concerns.
The Clear + Brilliant system can:
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines
- Increase collagen production
- Minimize red and brown spots
- Improve overall skin tone
- Shrink pores
Whether you choose Clear + Brilliant or another laser at our medical spa, you can look forward to a noticeable difference in your skin. Before undergoing laser skin resurfacing or light-based treatments, you maystruggleg with wrinkles, fine lines, acne scars, skin texture issues, and uneven skin tone. After treatment, you can expect to see smoother, firmer, more youthful skin with a radiant glow.
Request a Consultation
Spring is almost here, and now is an excellent time to rejuvenate your skin in time for the warmer weather. If you’d like to speak with me about medical skin care and treatments such as Clear + Brilliant Complete, call our Eugene, Oregon, office at (541) 683-3234 or request a consultation.